14 September 2010

A winter walk in a Melbourne Park, 14 September 2010

Landed in Melbourne after a 6:45 hours flight from Singapore.
A beautiful sunrise greeted us just north of Adelaide, captured below with my newly purchased Canon S95 pocket-camera (a camera I can highly recommend by the way, for it's bright f2.0 lens and tiny size compared to the slightly better but much bulkier Lumix LX5 that would not fit in my pocket).

Sunrise north of Adelaide as seen from the flight-deck

It was a chilling 3 degrees when we touched down on RWY 27 (the short one) in our B-777 300ER, very much like a good Norwegian summer morning.
So after a quick breakfast I immediately went outside (no, just kidding - I actually went straight to bed).

Waking up around 1pm, I walked in the large park around the famous MCG for a couple of hours, enjoying the crisp blue sky and equally crisp spring wind.
A Magpie-lark enjoyed 25 minutes of dive-bombing my head (this can surely NOT be the breeding season for these cheeky buggers?) and I can only imagine it's glee when it placed a warm, white bomb spot on top of my noggin. Me not happy.

Anyways, with a runny nose and apple-red cheeks I retired to the relative warmth of my hotel room and prepared the photos.

Nice day, all in all.

Rainbow Lorikeet, Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus
The common parakeet in Melbourne


White-backed Magpie, Cracticus tibicen tyrannicus
White-backed Magpie, Cracticus tibicen tyrannicus
A common, but great bird nevertheless


Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala
Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala
Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala
Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala - juvenile
Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala
Noisy Miner, Manorina melanocephala melanocephala
Common and often overlooked, the Noisy Miner is a superb little bird. I saw several adults find these small black beetles and feeding the young ones with them


Grey Butcherbird, Cracticus torquatus torquatus
Grey Butcherbird, Cracticus torquatus torquatus
Surprisingly vocal and tame. Look at the fantastic hook at the tip of the bill - this is not a vegetarian!


Crested Pigeon, Ocyphaps lophotes lophotes
Crested Pigeon, Ocyphaps lophotes lophotes
Crested Pigeon, Ocyphaps lophotes lophotes
Crested Pigeon, Ocyphaps lophotes lophotes
Crested Pigeon, Ocyphaps lophotes lophotes
I found a feeding flock of these magnificent pigeons in a corner of the park


Magpie-lark, Grallina cyanoleuca cyanoleuca
Magpie-lark, Grallina cyanoleuca cyanoleuca
Magpie-lark, Grallina cyanoleuca cyanoleuca
This is the cheeky bird that relentlessly attacked me



No comments:

Post a Comment